Friday, August 3, 2012

Update and future clinical studies


Day 10, Saturday, July 21 I woke up with a runny nose. It only lasted one day and turned into a sore throat, which lasted for a few days. The physician at NIH said it looked like I had a cold. For the past week I have had no runny nose, no sore throat, but lots of coughing. Thursday, August 2nd I coughed up a small amount of what appeared to be dark red blood. Considering the fact that internal bleeding is one of the side effects of Ibrutinib, I got a little concerned.

Well the good news is that I am not bleeding internally and I do not have pneumonia. But I do have bronchitis – a cold that seems to have worked it’s way to my lungs. So an antibiotic is in order. It’s funny how one gets overly cautious about the toxic combination of drugs, so I would not take the antibiotic until I got the okay from Dr. Farooqui. I can’t take aspirin or Ibiprofin anymore because of it’s blood thinning abilities. No more red wine for La Verne either (BOO! HOO!), until the researchers figure out the issues of alcohol and the experimental drug.

I also wanted to mention that it was announced August 1st that three additional Ibrutinib Phase 3 clinical trials at undisclosed locations will soon be posted -- two are for CLL/SLL and one is for mantle cell lymphoma (MCL). Pharmacyclics and Janssen (two drug companies) will begin to invite participants into the clinical trials any day. The California-based Pharmacyclics is a biopharmaceutical company developing and commercializing innovative small-molecule drugs for treating cancer and diseases related to the immune system. The New Jersey-based Janssen is a pharmaceutical company of Johnson & Johnson that provides medicines ranging from ADHD to mental health to neurologics to pain management. Jenssen immediately saw the potential of Ibrutinib and paid Pharmacyclics $150 million upfront for a worldwide collaboration. In total Pharmacyclics will potentially receive $975 million for collaborating with Jenssen on the experimental drug I am taking. Hmmm… Who says it’s not all about the money?

The three studies will include the following:

1. A random study of the combination of Bendamustine/Rituximab plus Ibrutinib in comparison to Bendamustine/Rituximab plus a placebo in relapsed or refractory CLL/SLL patients. What this means is that participants sign up for the clinical study and have a 50:50 chance of getting Ibrutinib or the placebo. Bendamustine (tradename Treanda) is a nitrogen mustard used in treating CLL and lymphomas. Rituximab is a chimeric monoclonal antibody, which was FDA-approved in 1997. A placebo is a simulated treatment for a disease intended to deceive the recipient.

2. A frontline study of Ibrutinib alone compared to a comparator (Waiting to find out what this will be) in elderly CLL/SLL patients. Again, as a participant, it is the luck of the draw whether you get Ibrutinib or not. Also, please note that “elderly” means you are 65 or older. Most of the participants in my study are fuming at the use of the term “elderly,” so my doctor calls them the “other” cohort. LOL.

3. A study outside of the United States for patients with relapsed or refractory mantle cell lymphoma (MCL), who have received at least one prior chemotherapy regimen. The participants will be randomized and will receive either Ibrutinib or Temsirolimus. Temsirolimus is an intravenous drug for the treatment of renal cell carcinoma (kidney cancer).

Click for the full article:

I thank God every day that I was able to get into a clinical trial in which every participant received the drug Ibrutinib. I celebrate each day. I will be forever grateful for this opportunity regardless of the outcome.

“(S)He is a wise (wo)man who does not grieve for the things which (s)he has not, but rejoices for those which (s)he has.” — Epictetus


No comments:

Post a Comment