Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Living Life




I have not been present lately on my blog and that is because I have been joyfully living my life. The only reminders that I have cancer are those three blue pills I take every morning and a few side effects that have become my new normal; among them is some fatigue and joint issues. This winter I have had sinus issues that come with a bloody nose every day. I am dealing with nail issues on three of my toes (Jublia to the rescue) and one particularly bad bloody infection on one of my fingers. But it sure beats the alternative. LOL.

According to the NIH blood work from January 2016, I am still in complete remission. I will have a physical today with my local GP. My bone marrow biopsy is not scheduled until this summer.

You see I have been busy living my life. I am the grandmother of a precious new granddaughter named Ruby La Verne Harris. I was touched so deeply when I found out my son and daughter-in-law named her after me. It is one of the most thoughtful things anyone has ever done for me. I will be forever grateful.

Every morning when I wake up and sit up in my bed, I count the many blessings in my life. I am painting my blank canvases. I am flying around the country telling my story to cancer patients, caregivers, medical personnel, and cancer drug representatives. My husband and I have gone to see our grandchildren play basketball, gymnastics, swimming, and perform the lead role in a school play. I went to a line dancing class and could actually move. I was having so much fun doing stand-up comedy and now another comedian and I are putting together a Frick and Frack stand-up comedy routine for cancer patients. She has blood cancer too.

I received a text today from one of my favorite university graduate students. I was the chair of her graduate committee. I got her through her Master’s Degree and part of her doctoral degree when I was diagnosed and left the university. She and I connected because she was one of the few female grad students in an engineering and technology environment. Hana is from Dubai. I met her when a dear friend (another professor) brought her to my office to talk to me, because we were both creative souls. She was a senior undergraduate at the time and wanted to apply for graduate school. She was devastated because another professor told her that she was not graduate-school material. I am proud to announce that she was just awarded her PhD. Hana texted me this message:

Hi Dr. Harris! I just defended my PhD and passed! You are the first one to know I passed -- before parents, before friends! You are the reason I made it here today! I didn't update anyone that I was defending today -- not even parents -- because I was freaking out! I wish you were here today ... Thank you for believing in me.”

Hana just filled my bucket.

On another note, I am getting my kitchen and bathroom cabinets refaced. This may sound like a trivial thing to say on a cancer blog, but think about what this really means. This means that I have things in my life that are giving me joy and I don’t think about cancer all the time. At this moment in my life I feel free and alive. It has taken me a long time to get to this point. Life is beautiful. I am going to enjoy every moment while I can.


9 comments:

  1. What a wonderful post to read this morning !! And what a glorious life you are living. I understand completely about refacing your cabinets .. it means you plan on being around long enough to really enjoy them. I was thrilled to make the commitment to new window treatments. Some while back, I didn't even allow myself new shoes .. why waste the money ..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Lynn,
    You, my friend, know exactly how I feel. Sending (((HUGS))) to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I met you one year ago on a patient power panel in Phoenix. Since then I have followed your progress on your blog...you are a wonderful inspiration to me and I'm sure, many others! When I started Ibrutinib therapy 8 weeks ago (nervously) you were one of the first ppl I thought of. Your courage gives me strength and motivation to continue fighting! Congrats on the birth of your namesake...truly an honor. Stay well and happy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susan, my ibrutinib sister! Just remember that any side effects often lessen or disappear after a few weeks or months. I would not be here if it were not for that drug.

      Delete
  4. Dr. La Verne, Congratulations on your beautiful new granddaughter (and namesake)! Wow, that is so awesome! I have missed your messages so your timing on this was perfect. Enjoy your lovely baby granddaughter and those freshly redone cabinets! (-: Also, I cannot fully express how much I appreciate your blog. Your writings are one of my primary 'go-to's' in both up and down moments. Hugs from Washington State (and the WSU Mama to whom you kindly commented on FB several months back). I think of you and your family now whenever I go to WSU.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Deanna,
      (((HUGS))) to you and GO COUGARS!!!

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dr. La Verne -
    I just read you blog & want to thank you for giving me a sliver of hope.
    I know I am guilty of using "head in the sand" as a defense mechanism, but I only recently became aware of how much poorer the prognosis is for CLL patients with the 17(p) deletion. Wasn’t sure I would be able to sleep tonight, but the info on your blog did make me feel a little better.
    Thanks again -Hope that all has been going well for you.

    ReplyDelete