Saturday, May 23, 2020

Hope in this Age of the New Normal



Cancer survivors understand how getting the diagnosis of cancer rocks your world. We learn to live with what is called a “new normal.” The world is now in the process of having to adjust to a new normal with the pandemic changing how we live and how we relate to other human beings. I wonder if shaking hands will become a thing of the past. Quite frankly, I have been doing a fist bump since I was diagnosed with cancer.

I have been following the stay-at-home orders, safe distancing, and wearing a mask. I am a Prime Member of Amazon, so the delivery people and I are good friends now. LOL. Sometimes my groceries get delivered to my doorstep, and sometimes I pick up groceries at Fry’s after ordering online. They just put the bags in the trunk of my car. I hope the grocery stores continue this service. It is quite convenient. Maybe this will be my new normal.

NIH CLINICAL TRIAL NEW NORMAL
As you all know, I have been in the ibrutinib clinical trial at the NIH since July 12, 2012. I was diagnosed as a high-risk chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL) cancer patient. I had less than 1% chance of finding a bone marrow donor, since I am half-Japanese and half-German. The Gold Standard FCR chemo treatment was only going to give me a 5% success rate with a maximum of nine more months before a relapse. My only hope was a clinical trial.

At the time of diagnosis in 2009, there were no trials available. When a trial at M.D. Anderson was available a few years later, I did not qualify because I had to be 65 or older and I was younger. I was blessed to hang in there for a trial a few months later at the National Institutes of Health (NIH) that saved my life. Thank you, Dr. Chaya Venkat, founder of clltopics.org, for being my mentor and encouraging me to negotiate being in the trial, since I was rejected the first time. Gratitude also goes to my son Rocky Harris, who contacted Louis J. DeGennaro, Ph.D., President and CEO of The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, to determine which trial would be best for me. And much gratitude goes to Dr. Mohammed Farooqui and Dr. Adrian Wiestner at NIH, who allowed me to participate in the study.

NIH is again saving my life, along with Pharmacyclics and Janssen. I usually have to fly to Washington, D.C. four times a year for my medical exam and my “drug run.” I was scheduled to fly to D.C. in April but received a variance in the clinical trial because of the pandemic. NIH shipped my cancer drugs to me by FedEx and I was able to have my medical testing done locally. I am very grateful.

CAN IBRUTINIB HELP COVID-19 PATIENTS?
A new clinical study is being conducted at Dana-Farber Cancer Institute examining ibrutinib and COVID-19 infected patients. Their hypothesis is that the blood cancer drug may protect against the potential cytokine storm that promotes damage to lung cells and inflammation. (Refer to the article: https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2020-05/dci-dtt051820.php). This would be good news for cancer patients taking ibrutinib. Thank you Anne Amster for the article.

COVID-19 AND ANTIBODY TESTS
This morning my husband Carl and I got our Covid-19 test and our antibody test in Mesa, Arizona. Because we are early birds the process only took a few minutes. The employees were competent and courteous. It will take five to seven days to get the results.

This is the first winter I have had a series of upper respiratory infections from right after Halloween 2019 until the first week in January. Yes, I have been asking myself, “Was that the coronavirus?” Luckily the week of Thanksgiving and the week of Christmas I was well. How’s that for good timing?

COMMUNICATING WITH GRANDCHILDREN
I leave you with a little joy in our lives. Part of the new normal is being able to stay in touch with our 14 grandchildren through technology.  We have been facetiming and texting. One of the fun projects we did during the lockdown was creating “The G-Ma and G-Pa Show” for them with humorous makeovers and lip syncs. 


https://youtu.be/JbSLjuckrRU (I hope this link works for you).

I cannot wait until I can hug them all. That will be the best medicine of all.


Love & gratitude,
Dr. La Verne

1 comment:

  1. Watched episode 3 of "The G Ma & G-Pa show this morning - thanks you gave me a chuckle - I needed that!

    ReplyDelete