Monday, February 18, 2013

Clarification of trisomy 13


I began the ibrutinib clinical trial in July 2012, so I am now completing Cycle 7. I have a high percentage of trisomy 13 in my blood work that is not found in CLL/SLL. In 2010 I had 23%, January 2012 I had 93% and January 2013 it is 100%. So what does this mean?

Trisomy 13 is a marker and is found in myelodysplastic syndromes (MDS), which in the worst case can develop into a fast-growing and severe leukemia called acute myelogenous leukemia (AML). In the best case can be mild and easily managed.

According to Dr. Farooqui, it is clinically insignificant for me today, because (thank God) my hemoglobin, platelets, and LDH (lactate dehydrogenase) are normal now. My blasts are between 4% and 5%. Through anecdotal observation only (and not statistical data) ibrutinib appears to increase the regeneration of cells in the bone marrow. I am on watch and wait mode and will see what my bone marrow biopsy has to show this June. So according to Dr. Mohammed… not to worry. More easily said than done.

I did, however, breathe a breath of fresh air after that phone call. 

2 comments:

  1. Great news that it's insignificant La Verne.
    Even so, you do pick the rare ones :-) I read that only 1 in 10,000 patients get this one.
    Sounds like it is just as well you're on Ibrutinib!
    John Negus

    ReplyDelete