Friday, April 26, 2013

Paying to Survive: The Cost of Leukemia Drugs


My husband Carl and I have worked hard all of our lives. We both went to college, earned a living, raised a family, contributed to society, and hoped to leave the world a better place because we were here. Cancer reared its ugly head when we least expected it, and it took a financial and emotional toll on us. Becoming a proactive patient has helped me to personally deal with my diagnosis of 17p deleted leukemia.

As you all know, I have just completed nine months in a clinical trial with an experimental drug Ibrutinib, which will not cure the leukemia, but seems to be keeping it at bay, until a cure can be found. Hurrah! It looks like the FDA will approve of the drug in a year or so. This will be my lifeline and has changed my chances for survival. Hurrah! Now the next obstacle in our lives… How much am I going to have to pay to survive?

Here is a quote from the Blood Journal Report, which was prepublished April 25, 2013:
“Of the 12 drugs approved by the FDA for various cancer indications in 2012, 11 were priced above $100,000 per year. Cancer drug prices have almost doubled from a decade ago, from an average of $5,000 per month to more than $10,000 per month.”

If the cost of Ibrutinib follows in suit with today’s cost of Imatinib, more commonly known as Gleevac, which is a drug for chronic myeloid leukemia, the drug company will probably price it about $100,000 per year. Hmmm… My husband is retired. I am not working now. I don’t believe we have an extra $100,000 per year laying around to pay for my survival. I wonder if my insurance will help me pay for this? We are not alone in this situation. I guess we will cross that road when we get there.

All I can say is “Thank God for compassionate and sensible physicians.” Dr. Hagop Kantarjian from M.D. Anderson in Houston is taking the lead with a paper in the Blood Journal Report:
“The Price of Drugs for Chronic Myeloid Leukemia (CML); A Reflection of the Unsustainable Prices of Cancer Drugs: From the Perspective of a Large Group of CML Experts.”

Dr. Kantarjian states:
“As a group of more than 100 experts in chronic myeloid leukemia (CML), we draw attention to the high prices of cancer drugs, with the particular focus on the prices of approved tyrosine kinase inhibitors for the treatment of CML. This editorial addresses the multiple factors involved in cancer drug pricing, their impact on individual patients and healthcare policies, and argues for the need to lower the prices of cancer drugs to allow more patients to afford them and to maintain sound long-term healthcare policies.”

Blood Journal Report full article:

The New York Times article, published April 25, 2013, states that physicians in more than 15 countries on more than five continents have joined together to suggest “… that charging high prices for a medicine needed to keep someone alive is profiteering, akin to jacking up the prices of essential goods after a natural disaster.”

New York Times full article

Stay tuned for the next adventure of “Dr. La Verne’s Awesome Adventure: Slaying the Leukemia Dragon.”


No comments:

Post a Comment