Friday, July 19, 2013

My Dog Mac


If you are one of those people who has never had a pet or loved an animal, this is probably a posting you can skip. For all the others, especially cancer patients with pets, you will understand.

MacGregor -- or “Mac” as we fondly call him -- is my dog. He is a rescue Westie and was supposed to be unadoptable for several reasons. He was at least 10 years old, wasn’t housebroken, and apparently did not relate well to people – at least that is how the story goes. He had been left in a kennel for six months. His owners had gone to assisted living. Apparently the dog belonged to the husband, who was a banjo player. Mac wasn’t into female owners. Mac had stitches running diagonally across his belly from when he was attacked by an Australian Shepherd. He would not make eye contact. He was not a trusting dog.

I had several colleagues at the veterinary school at Purdue University. They found Mac and his longtime friend -- an 8-year-old Bichon Frise named “Buttons,” who used to belong to the wife. I agreed to “test drive” (dog sit) both dogs during the Christmas break in 2008. Buttons was definitely a lap dog and quite friendly. Mac was a grump. Carl was not too happy about the dog-sitting situation, but he could see that I was determined to care for the dogs and that was that.

First task completed… Both dogs were housebroken in two weeks – even in the freezing Indiana snow. I was a professor at Purdue University at the time. That’s the only reason I would be living in snow.

As time went on, I noticed that Mac began to quietly growl under his breath at Buttons, when Buttons would jump in my lap. Mac would then scoot closer and closer to me on the sofa. He still was not making eye contact or letting anyone touch his ears or belly.

By the time Carl and I went to our Midyear Conference in California in January, I decided that I wanted to adopt both dogs. Carl was still not over losing our Corgie Sophie and said, “No.” So I negotiated for one dog instead of two. He said I tricked him. LOL. “Which one do you want?” Carl asked. “I want the Westie,” I said. He looked surprised. “That ugly, grumpy dog with the stitches and bloody ears?! No one would want him!” “Exactly!” I said. “That is why I want him,” I replied. And that was that.

Buttons went off to a great home in Chicago to live with the father and sister of my friend Judy. He is happy as pie.

When I was diagnosed with leukemia, I was very fatigued. I remember lying on my back on the sofa and not feeling well. When I woke up, Mac had climbed up on the sofa and was lying on me with his belly touching my torso and his head under my chin. Ever since then he followed me everywhere. I could not even go to the bathroom without him waiting outside the door. We were friends for life. And that was that.

Last Monday Carl and I were packing and getting ready for our vacation in the White Mountains. Part of the ritual was dropping Mac off at the vet’s boarding facility Monday late afternoon. The alarm was set for 5 a.m. on Tuesday, so that Carl could make his golf tee time. The fishing poles and gear were ready for some trout catching.

I woke up suddenly at 4 a.m. with a bad feeling in the pit of my stomach. For some reason, I started to cry. I was worried about Mac. I asked Carl if he would be terribly upset if I did not go, because I had to get my dog. This was not like me. Carl was surprisingly understanding, even though he probably thought it was strange.

I waited for the vet’s door to open, and I asked to take Mac out of boarding. They looked a little surprised at my request. I wanted the vet to take a look at him. The vet felt a lump in his belly. The x-rays showed that Mac had recently swallowed 50 stones (30 in his belly and the rest in his intestines). The vet said he was too old for surgery. The only chance he had was to get rid of the stones. I spent the last three days and nights helping him expel the stones from both ends. We were exhausted.

By Thursday the last one came out. Mac was a tough dog, but the ordeal was too much for his old body. I wrapped him in a towel and rocked him. Mac passed away on Friday with me petting his beautiful head and body. Such a truly loyal and faithful friend. May you rest in peace, you old grumpy sweet boy. I will forever be grateful for all the love and happiness you brought to my life. You will be missed more than you know.

Love & Gratitude,
Your MaMa



3 comments:

  1. I am crying as I type this. I am so sorry for your loss. I know we have never met in person, but this post tells me that we are clearly kindred spirits. Our differences are that I don't have a husband to answer to (though I would love to have the support of the right one) and I, as a result, have never had to choose between pets. I am a former teacher and live in farm country, so between the two I have never had to look for a pet. They come to me, and I admittedly have often had more than a sane person would take on.

    When I was diagnosed with CLL, after 5 years of dealing with idiot doctors who wrote me off, my first oncologist, also an idiot who didn't know what he was doing, told me that I had to get rid of all of my animals. I got rid of him. While many of them have passed over the rainbow bridge since then, I truly believe that they are the reason I am still here. I was so sick by the time I was diagnosed that I really wished I could just got to sleep and not have to wake up, but I had to for my "children". I had to get out of bed and feed them and take care of their other needs. My cats would sleep all around me, with one on the pillow above my head to keep it warm. Everyone loved me, even on the days when I wasn't up to being a great mom.

    I don't believe there is any way to measure the value of animals in our lives, and hope you will find the next wonderful one to rescue, not to replace Mac, because no animal or human can be replaced, but to honor him by saving another life.

    Love and a big hug! If you need to talk I'm on Facebook - school picture, but I'm also on the CLL page and the Follicular page and a friend of Pat Elliot's as well as the yahoo and ACOr CLL groups. After a while all the names start to blend and I know I've seen your's in more than one place - I just don't remember which of these places. I do understand the pain, as I've been there way too many times over the years.

    Pat Kennedy

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to hear of your loss La Verne. We lost our last cat in 2012 and felt the loss dearly. She too was a very independent animal, but in her later years, she would always follow me out into the garden and keep me company.

    I suspect that they have a special sense for those of us living with chronic illness.

    R.I.P. Mac

    ReplyDelete
  3. LaVerne,

    What a sad yet awesome story of Mac. He was a great dog. I had followed the story of eating the stones, and of course, was very hopeful. Mac knew he was loved and appreciated by you and by Carl. He was very loving, and seemed to follow you everywhere. I know your heart must be broken, and I hope that your wonderful memories of him will be foremost in your thoughts. Mac, what a wonderful mutt!

    Mary, Drew and Evy

    ReplyDelete