Wednesday, February 21, 2024

Week 3 Venetoclax Ramp up

Week 3 Venetoclax ramp up to 100 mg was fairly uneventful. I did have one bout of intestinal issues on Sunday. I am not sure if that was from the prune juice I drank Saturday evening or from the fact that I ate an entire steak for the first time in over a decade. In any case, I was fine on Monday.

My bloodwork showed that my white blood cell count is in the normal range (4.9 k/mm3) and my platelets are in the normal range. My uric acid is in the normal range. I am relieved about those numbers.

My red blood count (RBC) is low (3.41 m/mm3), however. The normal range is 3.70-5.40. January 8, 2024 it was 4.63 m/mm3, which is in the normal range. It has been dipping since February12th, which is the day before I started on the 100 mg ramp up. I need to get a regular supply of iron, as well as folate, protein, and vitamin B12 so that I do not become anemic. I made sure I got a B12 shot at the doctor’s office.

Here are some lows: My hemoglobin is low (10.8 g/dL). The normal range is 11.5-16.0. It has been dipping since February12th. My total protein is a little low (5.8 g/dL). The normal range is 6.0-7.7. The total Globulin is low (1.5 g/dL). The normal range is 1.7-3.3. My MCHC is low.

Here are some highs: A/G ratio is high (3.0). The normal range is 1.3-2.7. My MCV is high. My RDW-CV is high and has been climbing. Some of these low and high numbers are due to the ramp up of the cancer drug.

Dr. Fiel, my G.P. discussed the A1C test with me since my glucose was very high. He said that since 1997 I have not had an issue with my glucose even if I test when I am not fasting. The last time he tested me in 2022 my glucose was normal. Whatever is going on has happened within the last year and a half.

I have a proactive diabetes plan with my Dr. Fiel. My father controlled his diabetes through diet alone for 20 years. Dr. Fiel said if I was not dealing with my cancer issue, he would recommend this, but not in my situation today. I have a low-dose prescription for Metformin, but Dr. Robin wants me to wait until I ramp up to 400 mg of Venetoclax (Week 5), so that the side effects of the cancer drug don’t get confused with the side effect of the diabetes med.

I will also have a FreeStyle Libre 3 on the back of my upper arm. The glucose monitoring system will give me glucose readings on my iphone. The data will be forwarded to Dr. Fiel’s office 24 hours a day. That way I can be monitored and I can’t cheat! I have a dietary plan and exercise plan in place. I am ready.

I just started Week 4 with 200 mg. Dr. Robin ordered the 400 mg of Venetoclax for Week 5, since my body seems to be tolerating the drug. I am very mindful of drinking water. That is the most important thing to remember. I am a little leery of the 400 mg ramp up since many patients I network with have not been able to tolerate that amount.

I am now down to monthly Obinutuzumab infusions. I should be done with those right before we leave to go to our daughter’s wedding. Great timing.

The word for the day: resilience.

Dr. La Verne

No comments:

Post a Comment