Tuesday, January 2, 2024

Day 1 of new treatment (01-02-2024)

Happy New Year! Today was the first day of my new treatment. I originally thought my husband Carl and I would be in the infusion room for three hours. We checked in at 8 a.m. and I was unhooked from the infusion at 2:51 pm – almost seven hours later.

The first two hours was used to prevent side effects from the Obinutuzumab by administering Tylenol, steroids, and Benadryl. I then received GAZYVA (Obinutuzumab) 100 mg in sodium chloride 0.9% 104mL/IVPB 100 mg bag. I am thankful I got a port because I cannot see how this would work with my crooked veins.

Lonnie, a cancer survivor from my Living Well cancer support group, came to chat with me. The Benadryl was making me sleepy so after she left, I did one of my best talents – I took a 3-hour nap. The nurse kept checking up on me making sure I was okay. I was listening to an Audible book, but I can’t even tell you what that was about since I slept so deeply.

I am now home and was told to take my temperature every day. Anything over 100.4 degrees is cause for concern. I got through the first infusion of Obinutuzumab with no initial side effects. I need to look out for fever, cough, or muscle and joint pain. The nurse said that tonight I may have side effects, such as diarrhea, nausea and vomiting, mouth sores, shortness of breath, rapid heart rate, problems with balance or coordination, problems with speech or walking, fainting, and headache.

Obinutuzumab, just like Rutuximab, may cause a serious viral infection of the brain that can lead to disability or death. I know they have to tell every patient this. She warned us that if I start to have any change in my mental state, decreased vision, or problems with speech or walking that start out gradually and get worse quickly, don’t bother calling the nurse, just go to emergency immediately.

The nurse gave me prescriptions for the side effects.

I got a text saying that our dinner will be delivered at 4:30 pm today. Thank you, Liz and Rocky. That was the best news of all. I do not have to have Chef Carl cook me dinner. I got Pita Jungle!

I will keep you updated on how everything goes tonight. Until then, be grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment