Thursday, January 25, 2024

Day 15: Obinutuzumab Infusion YES!

As you recall, my original Day 15 infusion on January 16th was cancelled because my platelets were too low, and Dr. Robin did not think it would be safe for me to have the infusion. So, Monday, January 22nd I went to the infusion room to get bloodwork done to see if my platelet count had improved and my challenged bone marrow had enough time to heal.

My platelet count increased from 89k/mm3 to 94k/mm3. That is low (normal is 130 to 450), but it shows that my bone marrow is healing.

My white blood count (WBC) was in the low normal range. It went from 5.6k to 4.1k, which is the lowest normal range. My Lymphocytes Absolute count went from 0.82 to normal. Last week the immature Grans Abs was high and that was an indication that my bone marrow was being suppressed and challenged. On Monday it was normal.

Last week my creatinine count was high and that was an indication that I was dehydrated. I was having severe cramps. My son Rocky sent me some hydration powder to add to my water that he and Liz use. They are both athletes and he said it had less sugar than Gatorade. It is Ultima Replenisher. It is an electrolyte mix. The blue raspberry flavor is wonderful. It makes it easy to drink water. No cramping since I have been using Ultima. I add Feel Good Beetroot Powder to my second thermos of water. It was all ordered from Amazon. Goal is 10 cups of water a day. My creatinine count is normal now.

So Tuesday, January 23rd became my new Day 15 Obinutuzumab Infusion Day. I am a week behind. I got the go ahead. I had half the amount of Benadryl, but I still managed to take a three-hour nap. I did not sleep well Monday night and got up at 2:30 a.m. on Tuesday, so I did not need Benadryl at all to shoot the “Z’s.” I got the steroids, which I hate because it makes me gain weight and I am already fat and sassy enough! I got the full Monte of the Obinutuzumab with no serious side effects.

The infusion did make me a little foggy in the brain, so it has taken me twice as long to do any of my computer work this week. This probably was not the best week for this to happen since I am taking a required ASU faculty online class this week and next. My colleague Eva knows what is going on and has my back if I need help with the course I am teaching. Just knowing she is there seems to help a lot.

Carl got me an early birthday present – an Apple watch. I have it programmed for steps, standing, and exercise goals. I did walk one mile on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. It felt good.

The best medicine of all this week has been visits from my girlfriends Addie, Tina, Robbie and Claudia and my daughter Tonya. The visits came along with food and gift cards. Giving someone your time is the best gift of all.

I talked to my friend Sue and she shared pics of her puppy BooBoo. I communicated with the wonderful women in my Living Well cancer support group. Yvonne and her sister Laura sent me a birthday card and gift card. I have such thoughtful friends. That is what life is all about – the relationships you have with people.

Next week I hope to start the oral cancer med Venetoclax, if my bloodwork checks out. My goal is to be far along in this cancer treatment to enjoy my daughter Tonya’s wedding to Flint in June and my son Rocky’s Ph.D. graduation in May. One day at a time.

Dr. La Verne

P.S. I am not proofing this blog since I am now getting tired. Imperfection is one of my best qualities. LOL.

No comments:

Post a Comment